Saturday, July 17, 2010

Raspberry-Lime Birthday Cake at Heaven's Walk


Good morning!

Ok.  So, I am not a cook
and I am not a baker.

I've said it many times before - I'd probably starve to death if Chef Hubby didn't enjoy cooking and baking.
(His momma taught him well.)

 BUT....

I DID make a cake for my dad's birthday.
Yup.  
(gasp!)
Believe it!


And to be honest with you -
it was actually kind of fun.

This was one of the easiest cakes I have ever made
and I never even had to turn on the oven.

Huh?   
Have I got your attention?

Here's the scoop!

It's called Raspberry-Lime Cake and it's so very easy, you're going to want to make one right after you read this.

The ingredients:

1 box (3.4 oz) instant vanilla pudding mix
1 cup low-fat sour cream
1/2 cup skim milk
1 store-bought angel food cake
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp raspberry preserves
1 cup fresh raspberries
1 cup confectioner's sugar
1 Tbsp lime juice
Garnish:  grated lime zest and fresh raspberries (optional)

In a medium bowl, whisk pudding mix, sour cream, and milk for 2 minutes until blended and thickened.

Invert cake onto serving plate; cut horizontally into 3 equal layers.
(I used a bread knife and it worked like a dream.)

Spread bottom layer with 1/4 cup of preserves; top with half the raspberries. Spread 3/4 cup pudding on top.  Place second cake layer over pudding; spread with remaining preserves, raspberries and 1/2 cup pudding.  Top with remaining cake layer.


Stir confectioner's sugar and lime juice in small bowl until blended and smooth.  Spoon over top of cake letting some drip down sides. 


Garnish with lime zest and additional raspberries.


 And there you have it!

A light, fresh, not-too-sweet dessert that you can whip in in about 20 minutes!
Low fat - low sugar, and it only has 216 calories per serving, too!


 Needless to say, Dad was very surprised that his daughter 
could actually create something eatable...

(and no white paint was involved!)

Happy Birthday, Dad!

Have a sweet day, everyone!

{Hugs}

~ laurie













5 comments:

  1. Oh yum!!! this looks wonderful Laurie! No wonder your dad was impressed!LOL
    Thanks for sharing this great recipe.
    Miss you tons.
    Debbie@houseatthelake

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, here I am "on vaation" (A mini-2-1/2 day one) and checking in on my friends as soon as MyHero left to take a walk and left his laptop behind...HA! That is a wonderful looking cake, Laurie! I will make this for my son-in-law who is always up for a "treat". I'm so glad that your Dad is around to share a birthday with~you are a lucky girl! Blessings-Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Laurie - that cake looks tooooo good! I am definitely hanging onto this recipe! My dad just had his 87th birthday on July 7th! Thanks for leaving the comments on his chipmunk post! I'll bet with all the beautiful land you have surrounding you, you could have an army of chipmunks eating out of your hands! Oh - and HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Laurie's Dad!!!! ... Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello
    Just found your blog and your cake looks lovely! I love raspberries so this is tempting!
    Love the look of you blog!
    I will be back...
    Blessings
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Laurie, The girls are westies and they are sisters. The last two that were left we didn't have the heart to brake them apart so we bought both of them. Your cake turned out delicious! And I am also one of your new followers too. Have yourself a great week....Julian

    ReplyDelete

Bless you and thank you for visiting! I read each of your comments and treasure them all. So, please make sure your settings will accept emails, or leave your email address so that I can reply! ♥ Laurie