Monday, September 13, 2010

Flea Market Treasures


Ok.  I know that you have all been breathlessly waiting for me to share some of the treasures I crammed into my little SUV the day that Debbie (from House at the Lake) went gallavanting around the local "once-a-month-during-the-summer" flea market a couple Sundays ago. She's been a good blogger and has been sharing her goodies with you.  I, on the other hand, have been a bad blogger, and have not
.....yet.

Today is your day!
So, sit back, grab that cappuccino - and be prepared for some eye candy, girls!

How about a trio of vintage mixing bowls for only $25?


I love their warm, white chunkiness and worn interiors.
Debbie said, "Put them on your bottom shelf.  It looks too empty." 
She was right.  I adore them there!


A great old time milk carrier for $12. Instead of paying the high price at one dealer's booth where he was asking $20-50 per bottle, we scrounged different booths for each bottle.

Did you know that they price the bottles according to the colors of the insignias, whether the letters are raised or not, and whether the bottles are square or round? I love learning new facts about the things I collect!

Naturally, my little carrier wouldn't take the cheaper round bottles. But after hitting a handful of booths, I paid no more than $4-10 for each one.
Oh, the thrill of the hunt....!


This birdcage was actually my first purchase of the day.  It was a dirty, black rusty color when I brought it home.  I didn't have any white spray paint on hand, so I grabbed some paint with real zinc in it that I had in the basement. Krylon makes a 'cold compund' spray paint "for the repair of metal" and it has 93% zinc in it.  It gave the birdcage a real neat look. 


But it didn't stay that way for long.  I really wanted it white.  
A coat of Heirloom White later....


Ah, yes.  That's more like it!

I had been looking for an old soap holder for my tub.  
And $15 later, I was a happy huntress!


It's perfectly imperfectly rusty, and I adore the way it looks on my tub with the lavender handmade soap bars.
(My neighbor, Heide, who really doesn't get in to my "vintage" world, sweetly said with her neat German accent, "Are you going to keep it all old and rusty looking, girl?") 

Yup.


My Hanson scale (which I actually found on eBay for $7), found a home in the wire garden basket that I brought home from the flea market last month.  It rests next to some vintage linens.


And this birdcage?  This birdcage I got for FREE.  Yup.  Free.
I bought something else from the dealer and she threw this in for nothing. 
I wanted to hug her.
But seeing it was 95 degrees with 95% humidity and we were all hot and sweaty and dying for a shower,
I didn't. 
She was probably happy about that.


Wanna see what my big purchase was of the day....?  
The treasure that I bought with the free birdcage?

Hmmmm......I think I'll wait til the next White Wednesday to show you.
Bwahahahaha!

{ Hugs! }

~ laurie




17 comments:

  1. Wow - you got some great stuff. I don't know which birdcage I like more. They are both wonderful. And I had no idea there were so many variations in milk bottles...I will have to check mine out.

    Can't wait to see what you are going debut on Wednesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your finds are soooo great!
    And a FREE birdcage! You lucky girl!
    I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh what a tease!! love all your finds...the bottles are so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful finds, I love all them!!! And I love where you put them! I had to giggle about the first birdcage, when I was reading I thought she didn't paint it white? and then.....:) I love it white!! You are a girl after my own heart my dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great finds and displayed so nicely too. Like the first bird cage. I just got one of my own finally.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fabulous treasures, you lucky gal.

    Love that bird cage.

    Have a beautiful week.
    TTFN ~Hugs, Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great finds. I think the bird cage is the best of the all. Who says nothing is free? Can't wait to see what actually got you that find!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you got some really great things!! I love your bowls, and that gorgeous soap holder....Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how I love looking at all the treasures my fellow bloggers pick up at flea markets and yard sales. You found some fantastic stuff...love the wire baskets and bird cage. I'm going to be following you:-) Happy hunting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love what I see so far ~ can't wait to see more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wowzers...what great finds! I love the rusty soap dish!! Perfect just the way it is:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woo hooo! that cage turned out awesome!!!! Everything looks great sis! Love what you did with the scale.
    Hugs.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the old soap holder! It would be perfect for my clawfoot tub in a 1930's house! Never even crossed my mind to look for one of those -thanks!!

    Maya @ Completely Coastal

    ReplyDelete
  14. You sure did hit the junkin' jackpot, wow!
    Love that milk bottle carrier.

    Have a wonderful week!
    Big hugs,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, how in the heck did I miss this post before? I thought I caught up when I got home...apparently not!

    I love those bowls...oh my goodness...those bowls...and that birdcage (both of them actually) is just to die for! I LOVE them...love them...love them...

    I used to have a neighbor from Poland and whenever I had anything that was old and rusty-looking she would say, in her deep accent...YUH NEED TA GOT RITTA THAT HOLD THING! Everything in her whole house was brand spanking new....but she loved me anyway!

    Would you believe that up until 10 years ago we had milk delivered to our door in glass bottles? I wish I had kept some of them now as the dairy that delivered is now sold and gone.

    Thanks for sharing,sweetie....I can't wait to see what else you two tricksters cheated people out of....BWAHAHAHAHA (THAT, by the way is SweetCheeks signature laugh)....xxoo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, you found some great treasures! I love birdcages and have just started finding some of my own. Also love the scale. Great finds!

    ReplyDelete

Bless you and thank you for visiting! I read each of your comments and treasure them all. So, please make sure your settings will accept emails, or leave your email address so that I can reply! ♥ Laurie