Monday, May 25, 2015

The Laughter of Color


I want to thank each and every one of you from the bottom of my heart for sticking by my side during this past year and being such devoted followers and friends. I deeply appreciate you checking in on me, sharing prayers, and offering encouragement, support, and love.
I treasure you all and consider you such a blessing in my life.
Thank you for being you!

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~

The seasons change and so does life.
Along with changes in one's life often comes changes of the heart.
With sadness, the soul seeks joy. 

My heart has been craving color.
Warm, happy, joyful color.


It has shown up not only outside in my gardens...




but inside this old farmhouse, too.

Tribal pillows, with their rich texture and cultural patterns
now mix beautifully with one of my favorite darker florals....but only one.
You won't find many ruffles or florals in this house right now.


I packed away the whisper of soft pastels and brought out the laughter of color.
My soul was craving laughter.


Earthy richness in my favorite deeper shades of purple, pink, blue, gray, and brown embrace the rooms with a warm hug of coziness.
My soul was craving a hug.


Bohemian style is all about exotic, saturated color, rich texture, intricate patterns,
and an earthy vibe  ~ with a bit of whimsy thrown in for good measure.
It's about being a "vagabond traveling through life" collecting eclectic treasures along the way.
Think....gypsy caravans.
A free-spirited lifestyle.
Layered decorating.
Spicy.
A bit wild.
Yes, my heart craved a bit of wildness.

Maryam Montague writes that it's "a combination of strong architectural shapes, sublime decorative finishes, vivid, inky colors, fresh, intricate patterns, and one-of-a-kind objects."

Kilims, batik, oushak, ajrahk block prints, hand quilted kantha.
Handcrafted artistry in rugs, pillows, and throws.
Mixing them all is easy.
Patterns that you think would clash, live joyfully next to each other as long as there is one common color.  The woven patterns each telling a story of the artisans who made them.





The bohemian theme is carried into my studio with collected, treasured paintings by my great-grandmother, grandmother, my father, and my talented long-time friend, Kerrie Sanderson.

Kerrie's sweet beach painting is on the far right. You can purchase her paintings from her Etsy shop, Seawashed.

Found Moroccan ceramic lattice vases from a consignment shop grace the cabinet in my studio.
This reworked pink cabinet, which has gone from white to blue to pink, will soon be getting a wash of "Muddy Pond" wax to "dirty" it a bit and create a more authentic well-worn, vintage look.
 (You can purchase it here from Anne at White Lace Cottage.)


Orchids sway next to roses on the fireplace mantel.


A regal purple orchid soaks up some sunshine on the kitchen windowsill.


A bohemian lantern and a red Moroccan glass filled with bright pink roses stand beneath a couple of my dream catchers.
(You can order a dream catcher from me here.)


A pierced tin lamp gives light to books and magazines that provide continual inspiration for me.
Of course, my favorite Young Living 'Patchouli" essential oil is never far away.
It is diffused and worn almost daily, and lends the perfect exotic fragrance in the house.
Patchouli has a musky, earthy aroma. In Eastern cultures, it is commonly used around the house to provide general support for health, and to help release negative emotions.


A simple touch of boho graces the master bath.


An orchid grows quietly next to a small beaded jewelry box atop a vintage Florentine table.


A carved whitewashed acacia wood box sits next to the one and only painting created by my mother that my father helped her with...


and a battery-operated gold filigree candle adds a soft glow at night.


The meditation room ~ dressed in purple, brown, and gray ~ is a haven of peace and tranquility.
Mismatched lace tablecloths tossed casually over curtain rods filter the morning sunlight.
A large pillow made from a Turkish rug grounds this space.
This has become my favorite room in the house.

I am currently on the hunt for another Moroccan side table like this.

A sparkly turquoise blue vase brings memories of cherished vacations spent by sparkling blue oceans.


I'm still tweaking the master bedroom.
A favorite throw from India in pink, white, and gray is tossed over a white linen duvet,
while a Turkish patchwork throw was tacked to the headboard for a quirky introduction of crayon colors.
The 1800's blanket chest at the foot of the bed was hauled home from a trip to Maine many years ago.

Tailored bedskirt by Shellagh Selee from Ticking & Toile.


Cowboy hats, tasseled shawls, and fringed leather handbags
hang on a handmade vintage coat rack.



Tattered Turkish rugs with beautifully bright and sometimes faded colors in exotic patterns can be found scattered throughout every room of the house.



The white wicker furniture on the front porch will soon get a make over, too, with a wash of earthy brown.


As I continue to plan and design some big changes for our back porch
~ which will become another favorite bohemian haven in this house, I'm sure ~
 my heart is being comforted.
Embraced in color.
Grounded in pattern.
Reveling in the joy that it all brings.



~  Eucharisteo  ~



Linking to the linky parties on the lower right of my sidebar.


50 comments:

  1. Beautiful Laurie! Always surround yourself with good friends, loving family, and cherished treasures and you can't go wrong. You garden and home is lovely as always <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurie,
    this is such a wonderful post.I like all the changes I have seen.Like you,I had several losses back in 2009 and then the awful car accident my husband had.After that my house changed totally the colors also.It´s what I needed too.You seem to feel better and I truly hope I´m right.Have a wonderful week.
    Hugs
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, beautiful color Laurie!!! I am craving color as well and I think it must be a trend, because I find myself wanting to change everything up and go bohemian as well lately. When I'm on Pinterest, I find that that is exactly what I'm drawn to. I'm just too afraid to take the plunge. Last week I found myself at TJ Maxx check-out with a Bohemian style pillow screaming in my cart. I love it!
    Your garden looks amazing!!!!!
    hugs from here...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colors. Your home looks totally perfect for you right now. It's so wonderful to listen to your heart. Today on Memorial Day, I'm diffusing Valor...

    I don't have any patchouli, but I'm putting it on my next order.. love the quiet singing of your rooms. That's what they visually seem to be doing. .. does that make any sense? ...gayla

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hoping the color is helping the slow healing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden is beautiful, and I love the subtle changes and introduction of rich colors you have in your house! Love to you, and the best of luck with your porch project. It's going to be superb ... but, you already knew that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog always gives me such joy to visit. I always get beautiful ideas for my home from yours.
    Every time I pass my small guest bedroom, I see your beautiful dream catcher and I say a silent prayer
    for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loooooooooove it all....happy week love Ria ..x!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's fun to come here and view your beautiful photos! I think many of us are craving the colors of summer! I love that shot of the bathtub, by the way. It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are surrounding yourself with beauty, and color, and gorgeous orchids, and patterned pillows, which brings joy. I like the view from your front porch too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am drawn to that bohemian look as well, and its earthy and free isn't it? I love your collection of woven fabrics, rugs and tapestries. All so beautiful. The wonderful part of decorating our homes is we can do whatever we want when we feel the need. xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. The changes you have made in your home to celebrate this side of yourself that you are discovering are simply beautiful and fascinating! I looked through your post several times!! It makes me want to totally redecorate my whole house! Well, at least a room or two. Any advice?!

    Love to you, I hope you are doing well (although it seems so). So happy to be friends on IG!

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bonjour chère amie,

    Une publication débordante de couleurs, de formes, de fleurs... J'aime tout ça !
    Très enrichissant pour l'âme...
    Merci pour le partage de vos magnifiques photos.

    ❀ Gros bisous ❀

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello sweetie... I am so loving your new Boho look! It is so you! I have always had our home filled with color as you know. I have loved everyone's whites but for me color is always necessary. Funny thing is, some of my treasures I kept from the 60's are now what everyone wants! I agree that everyone should fill their home with whatever makes them happy, be themselves! Love your Boho dreamcatchers! Need! Want! xo Moi. Please excuse any typos, on my phone.

    ReplyDelete

  15. I understand so well that after all the difficulties that you've been through you needed to put some color in your life! All our paths towards change represents what we are, and the key is to be in full acceptance of ourself! I lived all my life in boho style houses full of color and light, my journey brings me to more gently: that is life changing !
    Your garden is a real dream and your home just as sweet.
    Hope you feel in harmony with everthing in your life.
    Xoxo from PARIS with a wonderful spring time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful changes and lovely color!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, such beauty. There is nothing better then surrounding yourself inside and out with such grace and you have done that so well!

    Love your home.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Laurie,
    So refreshing and joyful the Bohemian colorful style filling your home. I think your Moroccan vintage table is the nicest one I've ever seen. Laurie today for both of us is the first anniversary of our Dads returning home to our Lord. I hold a special place in my heart for you, be happy my friend.
    xoxo,
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love all the beautiful color inside, and, your garden is dreamy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This whole post was so soothing for the soul! Beautiful and peaceful surroundings...I just wanted to step into the pictures! How wonderful for you to live in it every day.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Laurie, what a beautiful post filled with inspiring photos from your lovely home. The colors are gorgeous. Your garden is just so inviting. Wishing you a wonderful season and beautiful colors and laughter.
    Hugs and Blessings xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. There you are Laurie! Good to see a post from you. Gosh, such liveliness in your home these days! You're finding a new groove, and I'm so happy for you. Everything looks wonderful and I do hope that gorgeous garden of yours is feeding your sweet soul. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the bohemian style and when you are in the mood for colour I think it is good to just "go with the flow" ! also it is nice to ring the changes every now and then to keep happy and creative....lovely to see you back ...Gail x

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the idea of color laughing...great choice of words. And thanks for sharing your beautiful images with the Thursday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Laurie You are speaking to some deep roots in me. This is the style and palette of my 20's and into my 30's. The faded browns and plums with hints of deep sea blues. This is my favorite style that your farmhouse has ever been. I do not know where to even begin. I feel the depth of your heart, like the deep of the earth coming forth. Your meditation room has peace within it...and I am favoring it. But I like the corners of your living room and all the rose and sea paintings. The layering is so comforting. I began adding touches of Moroccan last Summer. My Moroccan lanterns and trinket boxes with clay beads are in the white, grey, dark wood palette...so mine is a subtle boho. It goes well with Nordic and Coastal. Your Bohemian Farmhouse speaks of the richness of the earth for me and this I so love too. When I surrounded myself with these colors in my youthful years they were of an African vibe because I was going to live in a hut in Africa. I still have some of my handmade African baskets when I volunteered with UNICEF. And of course my african Djembe drum. Oh... I can see a drum on your bohemian screened porch. I love all your details like the lace tablecloths on your windows and the layers of turkish rugs. The colors blend so beautifully together. Awwww...i LOVE what you have done and the direction you are going in. I can see how this style brings comfort and healing to your soul. And thank you for including my seawater painting. It touches my heart to be a part of your sanctuary. I wish I could come sit with you in the quiet of your meditation room. To just BE...would be worship. Our souls connected by the deep... Deep calling unto deep. Love.

    Thank you for sharing your home(your heart) with us. It moves me within my spirit. I love you wildly, Kerrie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautifully said Kerrie... I agree with every word you posted about Laurie's serene new look at her farmhouse... I wish the three of us could meet in person one day... perhaps we will... kindred spirits... love you both, xoxo... Julie Marie

      Delete
    2. Ohhh I wish too Julie Marie. But I fear flying. Maybe I will make a road trip some day with my Vintage Trailer The Pearl to visit you both. xxo

      Delete
  26. So wonderful to see you sharing again my friend. Your garden is filled with beautiful colors and your home is warm and filled with fond memories and cherished treasures. Thank you for sharing this wonderful post at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop xo.

    ReplyDelete
  27. So good to see you back. Always love reading your blog. You are a wonderful soul, full of love.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Laurie, always brightens my day when I see a link from you at SYC! Love how you have embraced the Bohemian style even more. The mixtures of patterns and colors are just delightful and yes; very soothing to the soul. Always love your sweet gardens and you writing is always so soulful! I embrace each and every word! Thanks for sharing my friend!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Laurie, just hopping back to let you know that I will be featuring you at SYC today.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  30. Laurie I love all your boho touches throughout.
    I love this style too...shabby chic and boho are my favourites I have to say.
    So very pretty and calming.
    Love & hugs to you sweet friend

    All my heart,
    Deborah xo

    ReplyDelete
  31. Laurie,
    I adore that you stay 'true' to whom you are, dear friend!!!
    The addition of color is a sure sign of change and renewed 'joy' within your home and life!!!
    The photos from within showing your beautiful lawn and Garden without are mesmerizing!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hello sweet soul, popping in to leave some love on your blog. Hoping the colors continue to brighten each new day xo

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh Laurie, I have followed you through the style changing zones and this one my dear is well suited for you.
    I was such a boho chic girl in my 20' and early 30's I love the Bohemian vibe, and often find pieces that fit well with this look at import stores like cost plus. Do they even have that store around anymore? Well world market and such. I loved wearing the boho style, a bit of the hippi still is in me.

    You know who is an amazing example of the Bohemian look? The none other Tracy Porter, I have loved her style from the get go, she has a mix of it all, she even troughs in some french pieces with bright paint finishes, giving her Gypsey style a sought after design. I love her books, and Fifi featured her in Her magazine. The green French Chest in her Kitchen is the exact french chest I have and it was in the same colour that when I had a bit of the boho French going on, then I went more muted needing a bit of calm and stripped it down from Apple green to raw and natural.

    I want a boho wool blanket rug, gypsy like yet Indian as well, I want to anchor my front room with a muted worn splash of colour, I am keeping my eyes open, also I want a massive dark stained manly armoire for the front room in place of the mirror and cabinet to anchor the look. I have my eyes open for a salvage piece, even if it's an old TV. Unit I will transform it, some leather, and nail heads oh yah! Yet I will still have to age it, sand it, distress it, and perhaps run it down with some colour.

    I did a post way back for my Christmas production about gypsy vagabonds, they were the wonderers and lived in caves :) your cave my dear is perfect.
    What ever influenced this direction in you?

    See you soon and all you inspire.
    Are we soon going to see a gypsy caravan in your yard? :)

    Xoxo
    Dore

    ReplyDelete
  34. bright boho color or quiet timeworn washed out hues, doesn't really matter as long as they are harnessed by your capable and beautiful spirit. keep creating lovely and making the world beautiful. peace to you right where you are, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  35. What an enchanting post. It really takes me back to my carefree hippie days... of good vibes and a quiet magic in the air. I love the look, it's comforting and meditative and beautiful.

    Laurie, i would love to buy the essential oil diffuser and some oils now... can you once again point me in the right direction for doing that...

    xoxo's
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  36. Just wanted to stop and say hello. Hope you are doing ok. Have a blessed and wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your blog title always grabs my attention-such a good post. I am so loving that simple board across your bath tub and the timeworn look of the 1800s blanket chest at the end of the bed..for me that's a breathtaking beauty..have long had a goal of growing orchids [well at least ONE] haven't done it yet.
    thanks for the wonderful pictures and your narrative.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Laurie, stopping back by to say hello and thank you for stopping by to visit and your kind comment.
    Hope you are enjoying a wonderful summer filled with great joys.
    Lovely to revisit your beautiful post of home and garden. Just lovely.
    Blessings, cm

    ReplyDelete
  39. Came by to say hi... I don't know why, but I've been thinking of you. Sending prayers and good wishes your way... Blessings

    Cielo

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love all the bohemian details in your home sweetie,all looks so beautiful ♥♥♥ Have a fab week xoxo Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  41. Laurie, I'm always inspired by anything you do! But, I love your Bohemian touches in your home and your garden is just gorgeous!!
    Thinking of you!
    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  42. Miss you and hope your are ok. I understand what you are going through. I love your boho look, I have just did our bedroom that way and will be sharing too. Sending you Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Miss you blogging girl, I know you share a lot with Facebook but would love to see you here as well, it's like turning pages of a magazine with you, and spreading sweetness.

    Soon I hope!

    Xoxo
    Dore

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hi Laurie, I've been thinking about you. Miss you blogging but I know you need to do what feeds your soul. Just popped in to say hello. We were featured this month as the Cottage of the Month at the Old Painted Cottage. Hope all is well with you. Hugs, Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hello Laurie! Can we drop by at your place? This is a great place to shoot some pre-nuptial photos.

    ReplyDelete
  46. My heart has been craving color.Warm, happy, joyful color.
    Decorative flower pots

    ReplyDelete
  47. Guess I've got some catching up to do when it comes deciding on colors. First, I'll work on figuring out how to make hypertufa molds, and then start working colors.

    ReplyDelete

Bless you and thank you for visiting! I read each of your comments and treasure them all. So, please make sure your settings will accept emails, or leave your email address so that I can reply! ♥ Laurie