Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Happy Dancing

Happy morning to you all!

I had an inkling that you wanted to ask me about the fireplace that you noticed in one of my recent posts.

I read your mind.....(*wink)


Ah.....yes......the good old oak fireplace.  
Now, don't get me wrong.  When we moved in here, I was doing the happy dance because I had always wanted a fireplace. I was thrilled! I could see hubby and me all snuggled up together on a long winter's night with a roaring fire warming our toes.

But I really hated strongly disliked the color of the thing. 
Really.
The wood just HAD to go.

It seemed to take command of the room and use up the air in it.
It was just so there.  You know?

Now, add to the mix that hubby and I were sparring discussing about me 
painting any woodwork in the house. 
I guess our visions just weren't meshing - even now.... 
(sigh)
Can't you just see all that wide richness of the door and window trim 
with creamy coat of white? 
(bigger sigh)
I soooo want my house to look like Maria's at dreamywhites.blogspot.com! 
(even bigger sigh)

So.....while hubby was away one weekend, I threw all worries 
(about what conniption fit he would have he would say) 
out the window and started painting. 
(And this wasn't the only thing that my obsession with white transformed
while he was away.)

I know.......me bad. Verrry verrry bad.


But that poor fireplace was just calling out for me to paint it. 
Honest!
It confronted me during the day and called my name at night.

I followed my intuition, knowing that this was going to be a good thing. 
A very good thing.
 

And once it was done.....


...all I could do was gaze at it....
and smile.


Oh yes.  A coat of soft white paint is what it had so desperately needed.



Switching the mirror from horizontal to vertical made our tall ceiling feel even grander. 
Arranging a few gifts from the sea...


...and some frilly peonies picked from the garden on it's smooth shiny mantel...


...even hubby did a little happy dance.

{Hugs} 

~ laurie





7 comments:

  1. I'm right there dancing with you sister! I absolutely love the transformation of your mantle from "wood" to white. Soooooo beautiful!
    Debbie@houseatthelake
    Looking forward to seeing this in person this weekend!eeeeeeeeeee(that's a scream).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could have sworn I left an earlier post?~
    Anyway, just wanted to say you did a wonderful job on the fireplace. I, too, hate things that "jar" you when you enter a room. I think each thing should be discovered and not jump out at you. MyHero and I have had several DO NOT PAINT discussions...and, like you, I usually wait til he is out of town on business and then -Ooooppps-Paint happens!

    It looks fabulous, Laurie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely. It looks so much grander the way you have set it up. If I had painted that while my DB wasn't home he would not be happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Men do not like to paint wood. It is our job to convert them!! I love what you did, Laurie! It looks so fresh and calm. And the peonies on the mantel add that 'Frenchy' look!! Love it!

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Laurie...You not bad. You SMART! And that newly painted mantle is absolutely gorgeous. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Good job. (Wish my husband had a two day conference away. I have LOTS of things I'd do f-a-s-t! ha ha ha) Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Laurie,
    What a wonderful fireplace redo...it looks great!! Your peonies are beautiful, too! :)
    Have a great weekend!
    Hugs ~ Jo :-)

    ReplyDelete

Bless you and thank you for visiting! I read each of your comments and treasure them all. So, please make sure your settings will accept emails, or leave your email address so that I can reply! ♥ Laurie