Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Sharing What Is Good

Well, our new year didn't start quite the way I imagined it would.

My husband and I were both sick over Christmas.
He caught a nasty cold and cough and spent almost two weeks on the sofa
while I oiled him up with immunity boosting, anti-viral therapeutic oils
and kept him well supplied with tissues.
I placed two home diffusers in the living room.  One at the head of the sofa and the other at the foot, 
and went through copious amounts of essential oils to aid in his breathing and congestion.




He became such a believer in these Young Living Essential Oils that he began asking for me to anoint him every few hours because they provided so much relief for him.



Knowing there was a pretty good chance that I would be on the receiving end of any errant cooties flying around the house, I oiled myself up every other hour and swiped my nose with Animal Scents Ointment laced with Lavender, Egyptian Gold, and Exodus II as a preventative measure.
I did catch a bit of a cold, but it only lasted for three days. I believe it was so short lived because of these wonderful gifts from God ~~ gifts that God intended as our medicines.

While traveling this "oily" journey, I continue to learn more and more about their healing properties. That, in turn, is forcing me to take a second look at what is in our pantry, what groceries I buy, how we eat, what we put in our bodies, and what we apply to our skin. 

Then, it dawned on me.

Each drop of an essential oil we use contains approximately 40 million-trillion molecules. (yes..that is a real number). If we're using these oils because they contain the power not only to heal us when we're sick, but to nurture and preserve our health when we are well, 
why in the world would I want to eat something or put something on my skin that is full of chemicals and is genetically modified? It's totally defeating the purpose of using these pure oils to stay healthy!

I read in my "Healing Oils of the Bible" that the oils' molecules deliver oxygen molecules to our cells, and can erase or deprogram miswritten codes in cellular memory. They can actually help fight cancer. They carry electrical charges, usually electrons or negative ions, which are healing and healthful. So, when we are eating things that weren't natural and organic, we certainly are not helping these oils to work optimally.

It was time for a change.
A BIG change.
Yes, it would be more expensive...because for some odd reason, eating healthy costs more than eating processed food.
But how many times have you have heard (or said yourself),
"When you have your health, you have everything."

So, I want to share with you what is good in our life right now.

I am running on my treadmill religiously at least four times per week, not allowing myself to stop until I log in at least three miles.  Today I started using the incline to push myself even harder; determined like never before to lose a few pounds before spring arrives.




I begin every other day by "oil pulling".  Taking a teaspoon of organic coconut oil, adding a couple drops of Thieves mouthwash (which I just love) to it, and swishing it around in my mouth for 15 minutes while I shower. It pulls toxins and bacteria not only from my mouth, but from my body as well.
It's all about prevention.



Some deliciously scented organic goats milk soap and shea butters arrived from Taproot Farms in Alaska. I love the feel of the silky soap, and the butters are so healing on winter dry skin.
(Not to mention, I'm totally diggin' the name of the soap.)




My long-time girlfriend who is also my hair dresser, gave me some Matrix oil to try on my hair.
I adore it. It makes it soft and manageable and keeps it healthy. It also smells absolutely heavenly.




I switched from coffee to organic tea spiked with cashew milk, raw honey, and a few drops of essential oils (cinnamon bark, Thieves, lemon, peppermint, and Slique). The cashew milk provides protein that keeps me full all morning long.
I make a Kefir smoothie at noon and nibble on some organic turkey jerky.




Grocery shopping is taking me longer. I read every single label and put items back on the shelf that have too many ingredients.  I am looking for the fewest ingredients as possible and if they are organic, all the better. It amazes me at the amount of chemicals, toxins, GMOs, and unnecessary additives that companies insist on pouring into their products. So disgusting.
We also stopped drinking any type of sodas due to all the chemicals in them
(like formaldehyde....really?)
My go-to drink is water with a few drops of lemon, lime, tangerine, or grapefruit oil in it.

We are eating more fruit when we get hungry. Bananas, apples, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, and oranges. They are filling, nutritious, and provide fiber and energy.




Our pantry shelves are gradually getting filled with organic almond butter, raw honey, quinoa, organic coconut and flaxseed oil, protein bars, ground chia seeds, and hemp protein powder. 
We eat only "clean" meat. Organic turkey or chicken burger or home-processed venison is used for chili, goulash, or tacos.  Air-chilled organic chicken or salmon are our favorites in soups or stir-fry,
with lots of bok choy, broccoli, green beans, carrots, onion, mushrooms, and red pepper.




We sprinkle ground chia seeds on top for an extra boost of protein, antioxidants, calcium, and omega 3 fatty acids.




Cold winters days are spent reading about healthy living,
learning as much as we can...




with a bit of decorating thrown in for good measure, of course.




In my studio, standing in front of a favorite tiny painting from my dad...




I create more dream catchers,
while my husband putters away in his work room.




And as 2015 marches forward toward the promise of a healthy spring...




our goal for a natural, organic, holistic, healthy, healing way life blooms
in this old farmhouse.


Watercolor by my dad.

"You are the content of your character. 
You are the ambitions that drive you. 
You are the goals that you set. 
You are the things that you laugh at 
and the words that you say. 
You are the thoughts you think 
and the things you wonder. 
You are beautiful and desirable 
not for the clique you attend, 
but for the spark of life within you 
that compels you to make your life 
a full and meaningful one. 
You are beautiful not for the shape of the vessel,
but for the volume of the soul it carries.”

~author unknown




By the grace of God, we strive to carry our healthy souls forward in a full and meaningful life...
and share the goodness that we are blessed with.

We taste and see that God is good.


~  Eucharisteo  ~



Linking to the linky parties located on the lower right of my sidebar.






30 comments:

  1. Laurie...you have truly embraced a new life with your oils, careful shopping, organic foods and and exercise. What a feat. Be proud! I have been eating whole foods for well over a year...nothing processed is brought into my home. The occasional "fast food" feels like a lump in my stomach. You are a great inspiration to anyone who reads this post.

    You may want to take a look at the post I wrote today. We visited a wonderful restaurant that I so wish you could try if you just lived closer. Click on the link and have a peek at their menu.

    Love and hugs,

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome Laurie! We love eating whole, healthy foods! You are an inspiration, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're definitely doing YOUR part! Spa-like living at home never sounded so wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Laurie. What amazing information. You guys are so healthy. I'm eating terribly. Deli turkey, pre-made mashed potatoes, diet sodas, frozen dinners, etc. I better change my ways. Do you feel better eating the way you do? I feel fat and sluggish and depressed alot of the time. Where do you buy the thieves mouth wash? I have to buy it. Thanks for all the information and the beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol Jane. We are definitely a work in progress. lol We definitely DO feel better eating this way. I think the way to embrace this whole idea is to consider the big picture. As the years go by, we realize how much we want to hang on to the health that we have now so that our quality of life when we get older won't be challenged. It's kind of like "preventative maintenance". :) I read so many things online and in health mags that list various toxins and chemicals that food/beauty companies put in their products....for no reason at all! After having a lumpectomy last December and losing both of my parents unexpectedly this past summer, I realize that health is EVERYTHING. Simple foods. Simple eating. Clean living. It's so worth it. ♥ I can hook you up to some of that Thieves mouthwash for sure! Drop me an email and I'll share the info with you, ok? xo laurie (shoemaker813@mei.net)

      Delete
  5. Hello Laurie... I am glad you are enjoying your oils and learning new things about healthy eating... thanks for your offer for some samples, but as I said, my allergies do not tolerate things with a scent in them of any kind, so sad... and way to go with your exercising!... I have always read labels and Jack and I eat really healthy... most people don't have a clue what is in packaged foods, it's scary!... I hope you will still allow yourself some of the goodies in life though... like good chocolate, a good cup of coffee... a cupcake now and then!... I think moderation is the key... and knowing what exactly is in what we eat... there are always good choices to make!... love your new dreamcatchers you are making... and that little painting by your daddy is precious... love you, xoxo... Julie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wholeheartedly agree that Natural Remedies and Essential Oils in particular are the way to go. I have used Eastern and Tribal Medicine as a preferred way to Wellness all of my life, only using Western Medicine when I absolutely have to. I wear an Essential Oil {Nag Champa} every day and I can't tell you how many people stop and tell me how good I smell and how good it makes them feel to inhale such a pleasing aroma... Nag Champa is a 'Well Being' Essential Oil. This is a wonderful Post to introduce others into the benefits of such a way of Living. I'm glad you're all feeling better now! Happy New Year from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is truly an inspiring, uplifting post, Laurie...thank you so much for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your inspiring post! I am making changes -- again -- in my diet and lifestyle, praying that they will become permanent this time. Sounds like you're doing great. I'm going to re-read this for more inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post. Very informative and inspiring. I do use essentials oils for many reasons, including cleaning, nasal congestion and for body care. I love the pit about the mouthwash,. I did not know that. I am also trying to make healthier food choices. I have been eating lots of grains and greens. It takes some use to but I am feeling much better.

    Thank you for the inspiring post. Good luck with your health goals.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great ways to stay healthy...I hear of more and more women doing the essential oils Thanks for sharing with the Thursday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Laurie, what a wonderful post filled with healthy living inspiration. So happy for you and this direction. I have been gluten free for nearly 3 years now and feel better then ever since doing away with white flour, wheat, barley and rye. I lift weights and use a stepper to workout everyday and keeping moving is key too.
    I have a few of the essential oils and love them too. I keep my diffuser going in my studio and it actually helps my creativity.
    Your daddy's art work is incredible. What a talented man and how special to look upon his work each day.
    Love the pics of the healthy dish you made.
    Wishing you a great new year and nothing but the best of health. Blessings and Hugs
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh I'm so glad you discovered this! Isn't it wonderful when you do? Lovely, now we have more in common to talk about. I've been eating this way for years, and now am embarking on self training in raw living foods as a chef.......cashew parmesean cheese is amazing and so simple. I do juicing all the time and this helped my housemate with his cancer. Just a few days ago, when I asked him to tell my friend what he experienced with the juice the first thing he said was it improved his attitude! Hows that. I adore Goddess's Medicine, the Mother knows how to take care of us, Mother Nature is the cure for everything in my opinion from illness to depression.....with Her medicines, herbs, flowers for the soul, veggies, fruits etc.....all my things comes from nature. I make all my body products etc. My friend was trying to talk me into doing workshops and a website, but all the information is already out there one only has to do a minor search to come with lots of good information and the experiences of mostly women who embark on this Healing Way. It helps so many people too when you become well versed in Mother Nature's Gifts. I just wish I could get some of the YL oils.....they are just so pricey, but they are good. I've made my own Thieves Oil and it worked fine, including making a cleanser for the counters with it....I'm rambling now, but I just wanted to say you are doing extremely well with what you've done so far. Love seeing others who do this, and those like your hubby who had no idea, see for himself how beautiful it all works.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Laurie,
    My daughter and i are all into OIL PULLING here!
    We Orly use coconut oil organic and we swish in moûth for 20 min. Did you know that oil pulling can even heal a cavity and it wards them off, gets rid of the bacteria bad breathe, body bacteria, whitens teeth naturally. I have seen a herbolagist for years and years, and I make sure I eat at least one Orange a day. As for your bananas eat them when the tips are still green, and if they freckle then don't eat them this is when they become high in histamines and high in sugar. Then they really have no value to your body.

    I love this common thread between us hear, it is a PURE and GOOD beautiful direction in life.
    I love all that God provides for us.

    Xoxo

    Dore

    ReplyDelete
  14. I too am looking forward to a healthy Spring! Can't wait to have a garden full of fresh produce. You are on the right track Laurie. Hubby and I were lucky and did not get any of the terrible nastys that so many people were afflicted with . Keeping our fingers crossed. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful post!!! I too need to start bringing more healthy choices home from the grocery store. You inspire me, Laurie, with everything you share!
    Much love,
    Lin

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Laurie. Thank you so much for talking the time to visit my blog, farmbeautiful. We have SO much in common, healthy eating and lifestyle has been a priority with my family too. I love that we both have farms and live a prairie lifestyle. Looking forward to hearing more about the oils and sharing our passions on shabby decore. :) Blessings, Anna Marie

    ReplyDelete
  17. A lovely post my friend. Filled with inspiration and great tips too. Wishing you and yours a new year filled with good health and continued happiness. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop. xo P.S. did you see my new giveaways?

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are an inspiration, Laurie my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How wonderful! And also, it isn't as expensive if you are eating less, which is often a part of eating healthy. This is why I love canning. I grew, harvested and canned (without canning) all the ingredients for our homemade vegetable soup tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy New Year, Laurie! I have missed you. What a wonderful and inspiring journey of health you are starting. It is amazing how far we have gone astray from the wholesome goodness of nature. Keep the information AND inspiration coming!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the healing powers of the essential oils too Laurie. My daughters got me into them. Good for you doing all these things to strengthen your body. That's the key---do it when you're young and keep on that track to pave the way for a healthier future.
    I love your father's artwork. Just lovely!
    sending hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great post Laurie! i just got started with Essential Oils and I love them! Thanks for linking up with Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  23. well you sure are speaking my language Laurie ! I love the natural organic lifestyle when possible ...I use coconut oil for pulling but haven't heard of the bottle of "thieves" oil ...interesting..... have fun....Gail x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sorry you were sick over the holidays. That isn't fun! You are right that eating healthy is expensive...crazy isn't it? The less processed something is the more they charge for it. Glad to hear you are both feeling better. Thank you for sharing at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a great weekend!
    Blessings, Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks Laurie for sharing this. I needed to hear this. I am trying to put better things on my skin and in my body. I haven't heard of all the things you have mentioned but they certainly sound very interesting. Thanks Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  26. oh my goodness - look at you immerse yourself in organics and goodness. love it. thank you for all the tips and the glimpses of peaceful healthy living in the midst of so much junk we so easily adapt to. peace to you right where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  27. missing you and leaving some ♥ on your lovely blog

    ReplyDelete
  28. Id love to try these oils sometime. The only problem is my husband hates any kind of smells that linger. I have tried oil pulling. Didn't find to much health benefit from it but I will say that it was great for my gums and teeth and even had better breath in the mornings. Thanks for sharing your oil experiences. I may have to get me some soon.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Bless you and thank you for visiting! I read each of your comments and treasure them all. So, please make sure your settings will accept emails, or leave your email address so that I can reply! ♥ Laurie