Monday, September 8, 2014

Pouring Out Blessings

It's been a tough year.
A year of facing fears,
of grasping tightly to faith,
and a pouring out of many blessings.

When my parents made their journey to heaven four months ago,
cards arrived in my mailbox.
A lot of cards.
Cards full of words of love, prayers, and encouragement from loving friends and family members.
Cards that meant so much to my broken heart.
Each of them were like a comforting hug.

Two of those cards were sent to me from my sisters-in-law and their husbands.
Inside were gift certificates to a local nursery that I had driven past numerous times on the way to my parents' house, but had never taken the time to stop.
Written in the cards was their wish for me to purchase something special for my gardens
in remembrance of my parents.

During the next few months, I thought long and hard about what would be the perfect tribute.
A new rose bush, a statue, a tree...
but my wish for a small white arbor for our garage service door kept nudging my mind.
I envisioned it covered in roses and clematis.

So, when my husband and I took the trailer one last time to my parents' house last week to pick up the last of the things needed to be cleared out, we stopped at the nursery to look at their arbors.

Under bright blue skies and warm sunshine, we walked around the property.
The sound of trickling water immediately surrounded and entranced us.
When we turned the corner, there stood a beautiful fountain beckoning me to come closer.
It danced and splashed and totally enthralled me.
It was almost musical.
I loved it.
I knew immediately that this special fountain would be the perfect tribute to my loving parents
who had filled our house with music in one way or another.

As the clerk rang up the gift certificates, I scrounged through my wallet to pay her the rest of what was owed.
My husband suddenly, lovingly, tucked some money into my hand with a simple, 
"Here. I'll take care of the rest," he said, smiling.
I couldn't swallow the huge lump in my throat.
I choked out a weak, "Thank you so much, honey."
We hugged while the clerk looked on with soft questions in her eyes.

And do you want to know something?
That nursery didn't carry any arbors.
Not a one.
It dawned on me that God thought that this fountain was a much better choice.

A few days later on a perfect late summer day,
I dismantled my old flea market birdbath in the center of the catmint,
and assembled the new fountain.

It brought back fond memories of my times setting them up at the landscape company where I used to work.



The music trickled and danced and splashed through the garden...
and I could see my parents smiling down on me~
knowing the joy I was feeling.






I stood back and allowed a sob to escape.




My eyes welled with bittersweet tears
as garden music filled my soul...



...and the fountain poured out blessings...
quenching my thirsty soul.





















~  Eucharisteo  ~




Linking to the linky parties on the lower right of my sidebar.

45 comments:

  1. Oh Laurie, what a beautiful tribute to your parents and all the wonderful and special memories you will always hold dear. Your post brought tears to my eyes...this is such a lovely way to cherish them in your heart, soul, and mind.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. How perfect- it was meant to be. What a wonderful choice you were guided to. The healing begins xo, Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful post. Thank you for sharing this love story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful gift in remembrance of your parents!

    ReplyDelete
  5. God found you the perfect garden accent, that lovely fountain. I think you will smile and remember happy times when you see it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful tribute to your parents. Alaina

    ReplyDelete
  7. such thoughtful sisters in law--love the idea of a garden tribute for your parents, laurie:) enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The sounds of trickling water is a peaceful and beautiful sound! That's a beautiful way to remember your mom and dad. Maybe you could put a little bench by it eventually...it could be a little sit and think spot:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful remembrance. It looks lovely in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful tribute to your parents, Laurie. It will be like angels singing every time you walk out and hear it. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. The sound of water is music to a thirsty soul. Absolutely the most perfect fountain was waiting for you to be taken home. Patty/NS

    ReplyDelete
  12. Water is so symbolic of life .....living waters.......so perfect, Laurie. Glad you stopped at the right place. But then again, you were led there. xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your fountain is just beautiful sweetie... and I can just hear her tender melody as the water trickles and splashes... carrying loving memories and precious words from your mama and daddy... I know they are smiling down from Heaven... and yes... this is what you were meant to get at that nursery as a special tribute to your parents... what a soothing, serene... and sacred spot you have created there... xoxo Julie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is a beautiful tribute to your parents, and it looks lovely in your beautiful garden. They say hard times makes us stronger...I don't know about that...I think it just makes us more compassionate. Missing you parents is a forever think, my Mom gone 17 years and I always think of her, less pain, but more longing to be with her one more time. But we are the "keeper" of their memory and we hold it tight.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a perfect tribute to the wonderful memories of your parents. I hope your heart will mend a little bit every time you listen to the fountain's beautiful music.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Laurie,
    I relish in each and every new post of yours ... Even with tears running down my face I feel connected to you. As if we share an undeniable bond. Of course it is true, as we are sisters going through a heart healing and acceptance. Laurie I am posting later today, a poem I wrote for my son on his birthday. Another hurdle on the course of recovery in mourning. Your poetic post is beautiful, may joy fill your heart in heartfelt memories each and every day.
    XO,
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is a beautiful way to remember your beloved parents. A place to be near them in your own garden...I think a bench, like Victoria said, would enable you to sit and contemplate. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  18. wowwwwww.... beautiful post..for remembering your mom and dad...warm hugs from me..xxx!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such a lovely tribute to your parents, Laurie...I know you must miss them so. I lost my father in May, and it has left such a hole in life...I can't imagine how hard it was to lose both parents. I hope this lovely fountain is a peaceful, remembering place for you...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's beautiful, Laurie. I'm sure your parents are sooooo pleased, looking down from the other side. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful way to remember your parents! A peaceful spot to listen to the soft sound of water,and thinking of sweet memories!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That fountain is beautiful! I think it's a wonderful way to remember your parents and a nice place for you to go when you're feeling a need to be close in thought with them. There is something so tranquil about flowing water.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have no words to describe the beauty brought forth in this post. I am just thankful that I have you on my sidebar. And for some not-so-strange reason I was thinking of you and your blog just a day or two ago. Thank you for sharing. Wishing you many happy moments to this beautiful music. ~Zuni

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is so beautiful. Thank you for sharing. And I loved what your in laws did in allowing you to pick something appropriate as a tribute to your parents. Very thoughtful. Visiting from Outdoor Wednesday.

    Jocelyn @ http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful place. The whole place looks so perfect to relax and absorb.
    Happy ODW!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a beautiful post--I love fountains. How calming and peaceful. What a thoughtful gift to give gift certificates for this. I want to plant something to honor my sister in law now. Thank you for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful words and fountain. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow... as the water splashes and burbles and trickles down it's like they are perpetually there in creation and movement with you... talking to you

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  30. eucharisteo! so sorry for your loss, laurie. what a glorious symbol of hope and eternity. living water. it's what my own heart craves so often. and nothing on this earth can truly comfort the way it can. hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  31. i can';t imagine what you have been through dear Laurie with losing both your parents is such a short time and my heart goes out to you all the time. this is such a beautiful post and as for the fountain that that the angels led you too, well it was just meant to be :) you are blessed with the magic that some people will never know :) cherish it, it is so very special !!

    sandy from SC :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  32. Laurie, you found a lovely fountain and the perfect spot for it! This story reminds me of the saying "Man makes plans, God laughs." I know you'll enjoy this wonderful addition to your calming garden.

    patty (texas)

    ReplyDelete
  33. That's such a sweet way to remember the most important people you'll ever know. I'm sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Laurie,
    Showers of Blessings trickle from your fountain, dear friend!!!
    Simply breathtaking!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  35. A lovely tribute. Verses keep running through my mind. I think you made the right choice.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wish I could reach through the computer and give you a big hug! Your fountain is beautiful and what a fitting tribute to the memory of your parents. So sorry you have to feel such sorrow but you will find grace and peace in the days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Laurie it reminds me of the hymn, "In the Garden." That will always be one of my favorite hymns. Blessing to you!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Laurie, I absolutely adore that water fountain in your garden. And its meaning! It's just ... so ... perfect. I'm sorry you went thru such a tough year. Just know that it will make you stronger.... Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  39. So perfect Laurie!
    What a beautiful living reminder that you will cherish always!
    And your hubby is a tender darling for his kind gesture of love to you.
    You are most blessed.
    Sending love, love, love through the pages to you sweetheart xo

    All my heart,
    Deborah xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  40. a beautiful way to honor the memory of your parents. Big hugs and continued prayers. xo

    ReplyDelete
  41. What a loving tribute… I have a lump in my throat. May you continue to feel the Lord's presence and love for you each day. I love your fountain. Touching post. Thank you for sharing… xo

    ReplyDelete
  42. I'm always stay with u Laurie ♥ !!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Bless you and thank you for visiting! I read each of your comments and treasure them all. So, please make sure your settings will accept emails, or leave your email address so that I can reply! ♥ Laurie