Thursday, February 7, 2013

Tangled Prairie Hearts Tutorial


The wait is finally over!
Many of you emailed me requesting a tutorial on the tangled prairie hearts I made last month.
Since my supplies finally arrived, I can now share with you how I made them ~
just in time for Valentine's Day.




Gather up the following items:

suede lacing
22 gauge wire
metal puffed hearts
mini wire cutter
needle nose pliers
pretty little pink crocheted basket to hold your supplies (optional) 
:)




The metal hearts I purchased are from Hobby Lobby.
Michael's carries them, too.
They come in a three pack ~ one silver, one copper, one gold ~
all strung on a little gold chain.




Using wire cutters, snip each heart from the chain
leaving the one larger link attached to the heart.
You'll use that one to thread the leather through.




Take your wire and clip several pieces about 2" long,
and one longer piece about 5" long.




Cut a piece of suede lace
and tie it in a loop.
You can make this as large or as small as you like.
Lay this aside for the moment.




Take the spool of suede lace
and thread one end through one of the hearts. 




Fold it up and wrap it with a small piece of the wire.




Thread the heart through the loop you previously made
adjusting the length for the second heart you'll attach next.




I just eyeballed this each time, staggering the hearts as I went.
Do this for each heart, for as many hearts as you want on your tangle.
I like to use an odd number, so I chose seven of them.

I completed four of them here.




When you're finished attaching and looping your hearts,
lift up the large leather loop and adjust the hearts so that they hang in a staggered fashion.

Take the long piece of wire you previously cut
and wrap it numerous times around the gathered cords just below the leather loop.







Lift them up, 
listen to their rustic tinkling sound,
and hang them some place sweet
for Valentine's Day.

[or give them away to someone special.]
:)


Laying on a bed of lace on my prairie table...


Hanging on a crocheted curtain...


Dangling over a Shabby Chic apron on the kitchen frantel...


Draped over the corner of a vintage rose painting in my bedroom.


I spent the day creating many of them to sell in my booth this spring.




From my to yours....

Happy Valentine's Day






~  Blessings  ~





PS ~ Heaven's Walk is sharing a booth with Doster Emporium at the Allegan Flea Market in May!
Stop by and see us! There will be lots of wonderful treasures to buy!

Follow me on Facebook and Pinterest!

Linking to the linky parties on the lower right of my sidebar.

52 comments:

  1. Great tutorial Laurie! I love the hearts and how they look gathered on the suede cording. So many options for displaying them! I think it would look fab as a necklace too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made this look so easy even I could do it and maybe I will. I love the look and appreciate that you shared where you bought everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice tutorial, Laurie. They'll look great in your booth. You should sell lots of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are beautiful, a very hearty affair and wonderful inspiration pictures ! Hug, Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Photos! Thanks for sharing your creativeness with us all.~Blessings Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Che carino Laurie! Proprio un bell'effetto!
    Sono sicura che sarebbe bellissimo partecipare a quel mercatino, a me piacciono tantissimo e non ne perdo uno qui in Italia. Baci!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Laurie,
    These are darling! you are gonna sell out fast!!!
    Hugs,
    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty! Thanks oodles for sharing the info--

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for posting this, I had actually purchased all the supplies to make something like this, but needed to sit down and figure it all out. You just made it really easy for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are great, Laurie! I'm going to save this. Thanks for sharing your tutorial on making them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely done Laurie...i like your hearts !!....love Ria.....xxx...

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are so beautiful, Laurie!! I love that they're feminine, but rustic at the same time. Happy weekend to you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Laurie,
    These are perfect for Valentine's Day, dear friend!!!
    However, a Bridal Shower or Wedding would be a great way to include these at other times of the year, as well!!!
    Much success at your booth and Flea Market in May!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are sooo beautiful Laurie!... I want one... xoxo... Julie Marie (I sent you an email just now)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Laurie
    That is some great job.....just wonderful :)
    and do not miss...

    S
    A
    T
    U
    R
    D
    A
    Y

    S
    H
    O
    W

    O
    F
    F

    it is FUN :)
    WELCOME
    Håkan ( The Roseman)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Laurie-I have no words-your DIY is absolutly perfect-LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!Yous is really amazing!!!!
    Have a nice day!!!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I cannot wait until Allegan Antique Market.... !!!! And this time I hope to see you there. Anyway, great tutorial with clear directions. I love the wire wrapping around the suede. Great look!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are very pretty, thanks for sharing the how to!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful gift idea. Excellent tutorial - thank you for sharing the idea. They look great.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful...thank you for the tutorial! I've got to get out tomorrow and see if I can find these hearts!
    Hugs,
    Pendra

    ReplyDelete
  21. so beautiful! i love this idea and your photos are gorgeous.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  22. So pretty! Thanks for sharing this at Rustic Restorations Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Really pretty and great photos, too!
    Visiting form Common Ground ~ Be Inspired.
    Babs

    ReplyDelete
  24. So cute; I've always loved these hearts and I love how you've paired them with the suede. Gorgeous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks Laurie...think I'll make some for our white show in April!
    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those are so pretty~I love the heart shape on anything cuz I have a birthday near Valentines...I might have to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  27. These hearts look delightful. What a great idea. I wonder if I could source the hearts in Australia?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Pretty! Thanks for the tutorial...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love these and am featuring them on Valentine's Day. Just a day for cool heart pictures. I will link back to you of course. Thanks for sharing this wonderful tutorial. Am pinning also. I just became a follower. Love your talents.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What will you come up with next?
    So sweet and will add to the sweetness of your dream catchers in all things romantic.

    I have to start coming up with new ideas, if I can pull myself away from all that I have going on.
    Laurie you inspire a post full of love, from the bottom of your hearts.

    A month of February hearts, hugs, and kisses.
    Xoxo
    Doré

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh...I can see these as curtain tie backs too. They are lovely Laurie! Have a great week!

    {{hugs}}
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh those are beautiful Laurie!Thank you for sharing this tutorial!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  33. How sweet are these, and creative, too. I'm sure they will fly right off the shelves. Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great tutorial, Laurie. Thanks for sharing. Happy Valentine's Day.......Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  35. Amazing inspiration, Laurie! Thanks for tutorial, I must try it :) I wish you a beautiful Valentine´s day!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Delightful dangling hearts! So pretty in all the various displays you've chosen, too, Laurie. I love your eye for detail! Great tutorial - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  37. A very unique but totally beautiful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  38. these are so pretty, Laurie, love the rustic leather with all the feminine lace!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. These are so beautiful, Laurie. Thanks for sharing it at Fluster's Creative Muster

    ReplyDelete
  40. Gorgeous!! Pinned these beauties. :)

    Thank you for partying with the Wildly Original Crowd.
    <3 Christina at I Gotta Create!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Laurie, Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful tutorial at Simple & Sweet Fridays. I think these Tangled Prairie Hearts are stunning. I love how you designed them with the wire and leather, so creative and pretty! Happy Valentine's! Thanks also for your wonderful comments, they're very sweet.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  42. Just so pretty! Feminine and rustic at the same time....my favorite combination!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi Laurie! Thanks so much for this tutorial. I just love them and thanks for joining us at Transformed Tuesday. Hugs, Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  44. These are some gorgeous!! Thanks for posting this tutorial. I'm glad you linked up at Romance on a dime!!

    ReplyDelete
  45. This is such a good idea, and I love the ways you've incorporated this string of hearts into your decor. I love hearts anyway : )

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hello Dear Laurie, this is marvelous - you've created something beautiful and shared with us! I do appreciate you sharing and I'll be featuring your post in this week's Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  47. So so pretty...and you are so sweet to post a tutorial for them too. I love your creative spirit and you always inspire me! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  48. Oh, Laurie. They are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Laurie, these are soooo cute, I had to share them on the BNOTP Facebook page. I love hearts and these are really cute gathered together this way. ♥

    ReplyDelete

Bless you and thank you for visiting! I read each of your comments and treasure them all. So, please make sure your settings will accept emails, or leave your email address so that I can reply! ♥ Laurie